Firefighters Issue Warning After Destructive Ashton Rd. House Fire
A word of warning from firefighters about the potentials dangers of one of the ways a lot of people use to heat their homes. That's after crews worked to knock down a destructive house fire early Thursday morning.
The fire started a little before 3 a.m. at a home along Ashton Road in the Greenfield Township/North East area.
When crews arrived, they found flames shooting through the roof of the home. Despite those efforts, the home is being called a total loss.
The fire chief on scene tells Erie News Now that a kerosene heater sparked the fire. No word on exactly how.
But, he did tell us it's a reminder that you need to be extra careful with those kerosene heaters.
Two people living there got out OK, but three of their pets were killed.
A neighbor has set up a go-fund me page to help the family with necessities, from food to clothing and monetary help.
Phillip Strait lived there with his son. They escaped with just the clothes on their back.
Anyone who would like to donate can go to go-fund-me-dot-com and search: Philip and Donovan Strait Fundraiser.