If you haven't noticed, it has been rather hot and humid the past several days. The worst has yet to come, however. Tomorrow (Thursday, July 21st) looks like it is shaping up to be a record breaker, as we are expecting highs to reach into the mid 90's! The standing record at this point is 93, and that was set back in 1964.
The temperatures are tough to take on their own, but once you toss in the humidity, it will feel more like 105 to 110 degrees! This is hard to handle for even the healthiest of us. With the temperatures marching into record categories, I though it would be appropriate to share some "Hot Weather", common sense tips!
1) Don't go into the heat if you don't have to! Avoiding some problems actually works.
2) Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of WATER. Sodas and alcoholic beverages may actually dehydrate you.
3) Never leave children (or anyone for that matter), or pets in a parked car. The temperatures in a car can become very dangerous in the matter of a minute.
4) Check on those with health problems, the elderly, and those that have a difficult time in hot weather.
5) Make sure your outdoor pets have plenty of water and shade. A 2-liter soda bottle filled with water, then frozen may help cool your furry friend down, too.
6) If you stop sweating, feel dizzy, or chilled, get into an air conditioned place ASAP! These are signs of heat stroke.
These are just a few tips for dealing with the heat and humidity that is imminent across the area for the next few days. If you have ways that you like to keep cool, certainly let me know about it in the comment section.