Deliberations are set to begin in the homicide trial against an Erie man, who is claiming self-defense.

After three days of testimony, closing arguments wrapped up Thursday evening, in the trial of 26-year-old Grover Lyons.

Lyons took the stand, where he testified that he shot a gun at 28-year-old Darrin Germany, because he feared for his life.

“I didn’t have any choice,” said Lyons.  “My life was in danger.”

On New Year's Eve of 2016, Germany died of a gunshot wound to the chest, during a shootout outside of Bogey's Tavern.

Another man, identified as Darrel Johnson, was shot in the leg.

While on the stand, Lyons maintained that Germany was the aggressor, and that he returned fire only after Germany fired six to eight shots at Lyons and Johnson.

“My friend got shot,” said Lyons.  “He shot at me, and I returned fire.”

Under cross-examination, Erie County District Attorney Jack Daneri asked Lyons why he left Erie and went to Detroit, where he was arrested in a basement crawl space nearly two months later.

“Word on the streets is that you were the killer, so you went to Detroit?” asked Daneri.

Lyons said he lives in Detroit and went there four days after the shooting, after receiving death threats on Facebook from Germany’s friends.

Daneri also asked Lyons about several prison letters that were sent to one of the witnesses, telling the witness how to testify.

Lyons said that he didn’t write the letters.

“They are written in first-person,” said Daneri.  “That means someone in the prison wrote the letter acting as him.”

A witness who lives near Bogey’s Tavern also testified that he saw three to four men dressed in red, holding guns near the crime scene on the night of the shooting.

He said that he heard an initial burst of gunfire, followed by another round of 25-30 shots fired.

However, prosecutors say there is no evidence to support those claims.

Judge John J. Mead will give the jury instructions on Friday at 9:00 a.m.  The jury will then begin deliberations.