Mother, Two Babysitters Indicted in Death of 3-Year-Old Boy in Ashtabula County
A mother and two babysitters have been indicted in the April death of a 3 year old in Ashtabula County.
Brantley Santiago's death was ruled as a homicide after he died April 25 from blunt force injuries of his head, trunk, and extremities with brain, skeletal, and soft tissue injuries.
The child was in the custody of his mother, Beverly J. Santiago, who left the child while she was at work in the care of babysitters Valorie D. Olah and Samantha M. Olah, according to the Ashtabula County Prosecutor's Office.
The Olahs told the Orwell Police Department the child fell down a flight of steps in their residence and suffered serious injuries from the fall, the Prosecutor's Office said.
Investigators said medical evidence showed the child suffered other injuries while in the care of the Olahs prior to falling down the stairs, which also contributed to Santiago's death.
Santiago has been charged for failing to protect the child and placing him in the care of the Olahs after he suffered other suspicious injuries while in their care and a pediatrician warned to avoid using the Olahs for child care any further, according to the Prosecutor's Office.
The three women were indicted on the following charges:
Samantha M. Olah and Valorie D. Olah
1. Two counts of Murder, an unclassified felony
2. Two counts of Involuntary Manslaughter, a first degree felony
3. One count of Felonious Assault, a second degree felony
4. One count of Endangering Children, a second degree felony
5. One count of Endangering Children, a third degree felony
Beverly J. Santiago
1. One count of Involuntary Manslaughter, a first degree felony
2. One count of Endangering Children, a third degree felony
All three were arrested Monday and placed in the Ashtabula County Jail to await arraignment.
The Orwell Police Department and Ashtabula County Sheriff's Department investigated the case.