ATF: Extension Cord Failure Caused Erie Day Care Fire that Killed Five Children
The Erie day care fire that claimed the lives of five children in August was caused by an electrical failure associated with a routinely-used extension cord in the living room, according to the ATF Thursday.
The fire has been ruled as accidental.
Firefighters were called to Harris Family Daycare at 1248 W. 11th St. on Aug. 11 for a report of a structure fire with people trapped inside.
Despite efforts by firefighters, the five children, all under the age of 10, died as a result of the fire.
The cause and ruling on the fire follows an investigation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Philadelphia Field Division, Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office and Erie Police and Fire Departments.