Cambridge Springs Bridge Replacement Project to Start Soon
Work will start later this month to replace the bridge that carries Route 6 (Main St.) over French Creek in Cambridge Springs Borough, Crawford County.
The bridge is located between the intersections with McClellan St. and Church St.
The 203-foot-long steel truss bridge will be replaced with a two-span concrete bridge. The project will also include new roadway approaches, paving, curb ramps, and sidewalks.
Drivers will be detoured using Grant St. and McClellan St. Upgrades to the detour route will begin Oct. 14, weather-permitting.
The current bridge will be closed to traffic on Nov. 1. The new bridge is expected to open by October 30, 2020.
A pedestrian detour will start March 18.
PennDOT hopes the entire project will be completed by Dec. 7, 2020.
The existing bridge, which was built in 1901, is listed in poor condition. It has a weight limit of 11-tons and has been closed to truck traffic since June 2019. An estimated 6,200 vehicles use the bridge each day.
Clearwater Construction Inc., of Mercer, was awarded the $3,816,000 contract. 20 percent of it will be paid using state funds, and the other 80 percent will come from federal funds.