Recipes: Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo; Dry Rub Smoked Chicken Wings
Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo
- 2 pounds chicken boneless skinless breast – or shrimp – or both
- 2 quarts water/chicken stock/seafood stock
- 1 pound okra, (frozen if fresh is not available)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion ¼ inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper ¼ inch dice, green and red
- 1/3 cup celery ¼ inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes
- 12 ounces Andouille sausage, cooked, sliced
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or chili pepper (use less for lower spiciness)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
In a medium-sized pot, add chicken breast and thighs and cover with 2 quarts of water. Bring water to a boil, then simmer until fully cooked about 20 to 25 minutes.
Strain water and reserve.
Remove cooked chicken from pot, allow to cool, then shred into small pieces. Cover and set aside.
In a large pot, combine ½ cup unsalted butter and ½ cup flour. Cook over medium heat, frequently stirring with a whisk to make a dark brown roux, about 15 minutes. In the last 5 minutes make sure to continuously stir so the roux does not burn.
Add onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add okra, tomatoes, and sliced Andouille sausage. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add bay leaf, thyme, basil, cayenne, pepper, and salt.
You may add more water depending on how thick you want the gumbo.
Simmer over medium-low heat, for approximately 30 minutes with pot loosely covered, stirring occasionally.
Add cooked shredded chicken and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
Turn off heat, and slowly stir in the gumbo file. Do not re-boil after adding as this tends to make the gumbo stringy. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
Serve over steamed rice.
Dry Rub Smoked Chicken Wings
- 1/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Smoker Packs
- 5 lbs chicken wings
Toss wings in dry rub and let sit for at least 2 hours. Preheat one side of grill on high. Place one smoker pack directly on that one side of grill burner, once you start to see the smoke, place wings on the other half of the grill (not on). Smoke wings for up to 3 hours, ensuring grill temp stays between 250* and 300*.