Lake Shore Railway Museum Adds Tenth General Electric Locomotive
Lake Shore Railway Museum is introducing a new addition to its locomotives that our parents and grandparents built collection.
It is a 1943 ex-military 45-ton centercab switcher locomotive, which becomes the collection's tenth locomotive.
The locomotive was assigned to McChord Army Air Field, now McChord Air Force Base, south of Tacoma, Washington. It was one of many GE built locomotives swept up into the service during World War II.
The locomotive then worked alongside other longshoremen on the docks of Seattle and Vancouver, Washington until the advent of container shipping.
It was then used in steel reclamation industry outside Pittsburgh.
ELG Metals southeast of Pittsburgh agreed to donate the retired locomotive after French Creek Valley Railroad Historical Society notified Lake Shore Railway about it.
Volunteers hope to make it operational soon.