Vehicle Restrictions Planned Wednesday for Pennsylvania Interstates
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC) plan to impose vehicle restrictions Wednesday due to the snowy, cold weather expected.
A Tier 1 vehicle restriction will go into place Wednesday, Jan. 25, at 6 a.m.:
- Interstate 80 from I-79 to I-180
- I-76 (PA Turnpike) from New Stanton to Breezewood
- Entire length of I-99.
A Tier 1 vehicle restriction will go into place Wednesday, Jan. 25, at noon:
- I-80 from I-180 to the New Jersey border
- I-81 from I-78 to the New York border
- I-84, entire length
- I-380, entire length
- I-476 (PA Turnpike Northeast Extension) from I-78 to I-81 Clarks Summit
On roadways with Tier 1 restrictions, the following vehicles are not permitted:
- Tractors without trailers
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers
- Enclosed unloaded or lightly loaded cargo delivery trucks/box trucks that meet the definition of a CMV
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUV’s, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes
- School buses, commercial buses and motor coaches
Drivers are encouraged to avoid unnecessary travel during the storm. Anyone who needs to travel is asked to use caution, reduce speeds and be aware of changing weather conditions.