One Erie neighborhood which was getting ready to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday had quite a scare.

A natural gas leak brought a big emergency response to the 1200 block of E. 20th St.

Authorities said there was a strong smell of gas in the neighborhood coming from a home that they could not get into.

Firefighters responded and evacuated the homes around 1217 E. 20th.

National Fuel crews were also on the scene quickly. They shut off the gas to the home in question and reported tit would take time for the gas to dissipate.

Police were called, too, as some neighbors weren't too happy about being sent outside about an hour before Super Bowl kickoff.

After gas readings in the air went down, people could return to their homes.